Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Shock to the System

So - I planned on writing a post on attending the Stand Up to Cancer telethon in Los Angeles. That was Friday night. It was cool - though I didn't get to meet any celebrities. I went with Lanita Moss - current YSC pres., and 2 west coast YSC-ers, Marissa and Lori. Wonderful gals! And we hooked up with a couple other YSC-ers who were there representing the Network of Strength org (formerly known as Y-Me). It was also great to connect with folks from other like-minded orgs such as i[2]y and Immerman Angels.
Well - all this was overshadowed on my way home Saturday day. I lucked out and got an early flight. Just as I was boarding, Brian called to tell me some awful news: a close friend's husband had died overnight in a car crash. Jody's husband Marty was a sherriff's deputy and was working and riding with another deputy. Rainy humid weather apparently caused them to hdyroplane and flip their SUV. Marty died en route to the hospital.
Jody is living with advanced breast cancer, diagnosed 5 years ago at the age of 30. Her health has been declining. Not that you would really know it as she sits on the local YSC council and does a variety of activities.
I am so devastated for her and angry at this disease. If she did not have breast cancer, losing Marty would be hard enough. If she did not have breast cancer, my first thoughts wouldn't be "How will she pay for treatment?" If she did not have breast cancer then she could just grieve. But I know there is more going through her head.
The Columbus Dispatch has done a nice article - probably appearing in Sunday's paper. If anyone comes across this blog (because I don't think people really read my blog yet), please place Jody and her family in your thoughts for a few minutes.

1 comments:

Matthew Zachary said...

Our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies go out to Jody and both her and Marty's entire family. It is when things like this happen, you just want to ask the universe "why?". As a young adult b/c survivor, i[2]y and our global support community stand ready to be here for her.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com