Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Dash

Today I, along with Brian and several other close friends from the YSC, attended the funeral of the husband of my close friend, Jody Carrico-Martin. As noted in my prior post, Jody is battling stage IV breast cancer. Marty was killed in the line of duty early Saturday morning. Brian wrote about the funeral on the HELP FIDO blog and you can read the beautiful Dispatch article here. The funeral was epic. Rich in pageantry and formality - yet full of personal touches. There were hundreds of officers, a pipe and drum corp to play "Going Home" and "Amazing Grace," and the final call from dispatch for Marty's car. Marty's retired K-9 Unit dog Bul lead the coffin procession out of the church and from the hearse to its final resting place. Later, during the 21 gun salute Bul and all the other dogs present began to bark.
Extremely fitting.
Sherrif Jim Karnes spoke at the funeral about the cover of the funeral program. That there are two years noting a persons birth and death. But what matters most is the dash in between. This resonated with Brian and me. And I made a point to gather the YSC gals in attendance in a group hug and tell them that this moment is why we do what we do - it is why we are together as survivors and to support one and other in all matters. On a personal level, it is why I feel compelled to volunteer with the YSC, and with HELP FIDO. It is why I choose to recycle, eat locally grown everything, and work in research.
Your life is defined in how you live it. Marty lived his in service to the community, county and the country.
My thoughts are with Jody and Kyle, as well as all my YSC family members.
If you wish to help Jody - she has requested Kroger or Giant Eagle gift cards (she has dogs, chickens and goats to feed!), or Visa check cards.
Or you can send a check, made out to Jody Carrico-Martin.
Even notes and cards just showing support may help.
Please send these to:
YSC Central Ohio
7716 Rivers Edge Drive
Suite A
Columbus, OH 43235
or call 614.470.0300
**Amendment: The Dispatch article doesn't mention Jody so I will tell you a couple things. She looked beautiful. I am sure Marty was very proud of her and how she held it together for the service and internment. During the pipe band playing "Amazing Grace" I looked over for her and she had gotten up and laid hand her hand on the casket. It was an image that will remain seared in my memory for when I ever wonder what love is.**

1 comments:

LeAnn said...

I thought I posted but I guess not... I just was checking out HF and your blog, and was able to see Marty and Jody's story. We weren't able to open the link in GT. Heartbreaking. She is in my prayers.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com