Thursday, September 4, 2008

I have mentioned before that I am the vice-president of the Board of Directors of the Young Survival Coalition (YSC). On many occasions when I have lobbied for cancer research dollars on the federal level I have heard comments such as “When are the American people going to fund cancer research the way they do the Red Cross, etc?” (apparently these folks haven’t heard of Komen or the American Cancer Society).And many of you may have heard about the Stand Up 2 Cancer (SU2C) live telethon this Friday night.

Earlier this summer, Katie Couric, Charles Gibson, and Brian Williams toured the morning talk shows to announce this unprecedented collaboration to raise money via a live telethon. This was inspired I am sure, by the tremendous response post-Katrina and September 11 events of similar nature.According to the site – more than 50 personalities from TV, film, sports and music will be making personal appearances and attending to a phone bank. There will also be a performance of the song “Just Stand Up” – available now on iTunes with the proceeds going directly to SU2C.SU2C dollars will go to a variety of research avenues – including an RFP that went out seeking “Dream Team” collaborations moving bench side research to bedside. I am proud to say that the YSC is participating in this event as a resource for young breast cancer survivors and their caregivers, as well as researchers. As such – I will be in attendance during the telethon!!

I fly out on Thursday, attend a luncheon hosted by Sherry Lansing and other celebs, and then attend the actual event. I don’t think I will be answering phones or on tv but if it means I get to sit next to George Clooney then I will do whatever they ask!I would be so honored if you consider watching the telethon and keep an eye out for me. I would be even more honored if you would consider taking this opportunity to make a donation to the YSC in my honor! Every little bit helps!I am sporting a pink swatch of hair right now so you might spot me! Let me know if you do! The YSC has 4 tickets and so Lanita Moss and I will be attending with two others YSC members. Again – it is Friday night, 8pm (EST) on all three networks.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com