Monday, September 22, 2008

Football frustration

Okay - I know I am a girl. But one of the things I pride myself on is my cool factor has to have been increased by my love of college football. When I moved south with my mom in '85, my loyalty was for Ohio State University (Go Bucks!). In fact, I have a clear memory of a New Year's Eve (probably '86/87??) celebration in New Orleans, stumbling around with my friends, and OSU was playing LSU in the Sugar Bowl the next day. I was being the rebel, shouting "OSU!" at every group of similarly drunk LSU fans...trying to start a fight. But I wasn't truly a football fan per se. I didn't follow the players or the game all that much.
When I moved to college in Mobile, Alabama I was often asked "Auburn or 'Bama?" I had no idea how to answer. I just said "OSU" and was greeted with "No deary - you must chooooooose."
I stayed true to my yankee roots and held firm to OSU. But then something changed.
I fell in love with Auburn football (War Damn Eagle!) in 1990 while dating an alum. He turned me on to the rich tradition and southern charm of it. The legend of the War Eagle, circling the battlefield. The many chants and songs. The lore of the perfect season while under suspension and no promise of a bowl game. The fun of an in state rivalry (versus the full on "our state is better than your state" of OSU vs Michigan) which pits brother against brother and husband against wife...
I actually started to watch and understand the game. I became more than a 'school' fan - I became a college football fan!
So all of that leads me to where I was Saturday night...hoping against hope that Auburn would pull off the upset and beat LSU, at home on Jordan-Hare field, and under the lights.
*sighs*
It was not to be.
But hey - at least I am cool for knowing how much the game mattered to those boys!
War Eagle boys!
Play on!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com